Thursday, June 23, 2011

Kid-Approved Super Strawberry Applesauce!

The kids and I went strawberry picking last week at a local family farm. It was the perfect spring day. Sunny and seventy degrees. Not a cloud in the sky. I had my one-year old daughter on my back for a while in her Beco carrier. She determined that I could not supply her with strawberries fast enough, however, and demanded to be allowed to wander the rows to pick her own. My son skipped along beside her, protective as always, picking "perfect strawberries" for her to eat. I managed to pick seven pounds of some of the sweetest and juiciest strawberries I've ever tasted before the kids were ready to move onto petting the goats.

I experimented with making strawberry applesauce to great success. As a bonus, I was able to use six apples I had hanging out in the fruit drawer of the refrigerator. (You know, the ones that are are a bit too mealy to be really enjoyed eaten fresh.)  I used this recipe as a base. I doubled it and modified it as follows:
  • Added 10 to 15 strawberries
  • Cut the sugar in half (While it tastes lovely, I think next time I will skip it altogether or try using agave.)
  • Skipped the cinnamon.
  • Since my son is very sensitive to texture, I pureed the applesauce after it cooled. I actually think this improved the blend of flavors as well.
I froze two quarts of berries. I can't wait until fall to add them to some batches of applesauce made during apple picking season. That is, if they last that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment