Thursday, July 14, 2011

Yummy (Gluten Free, Vegan, Soy Free) Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

What goes better with zucchini than chocolate? I have enjoyed many chocolate chip zucchini muffins over the years. This recipe takes that chocolaty, spicy, and sweet combination to a whole new level of decadence. In my mind there is a fine line between a cupcake and a muffin. These muffins march right up to that line and would launch themselves over the top if it were not for the texture and the savory note the cinnamon imparts. While these muffins may be a bit to intense for breakfast, I highly recommend them with a cup of coffee or strong tea and served with fresh berries and a dot of whipped topping for a delicious snack.


Photo from Vegan Crafttastic
 We are entering the high season of zucchini here in the Northeast. As the saying goes, one zucchini plant can feed a whole neighborhood. With this week's CSA share supplied zucchini I decided to make muffins. I found this recipe for gluten free chocolate zucchini muffins from Vegan Craftastic and had to try it.

She gave two choices in the recipe for moisture. She suggested either applesauce or oil. I had enough zucchini for two batches so I tried both with varying results. Both batches were delicious and kid-approved!

The extremely yummy applesauce-batch came out very airy and maintained their shape well coming out of the mini-bunt tray. They were best when eaten warm with a pat of "spread." When the cooled they were a bit dry for my liking.

For the oil-batch I used coconut oil. This produced a wonderful aroma to the batter and the cupcakes while cooking. The results were a little mixed. I followed the directions and filled each mini-bundt to the top with batter as I had the applesauce-batch. They expended while cooking and the muffin tops ran together. They then stuck in the pan when I turned the pan over. The muffin tops came off by themselves! I scooped the remaining muffin out of the pan. They were still yummy and were much more moist than the applesauce-batch, enjoyable without any "spread." I enjoyed them cool as well. I recommend only filling the muffin molds to three quarters full and to use muffin tins rather than oiling the pans.

No comments:

Post a Comment